torstai 18. toukokuuta 2006

Parit kuulumiset

Deena Kastor haastis.

Mielenkiintoinen Bob Kennedy haastattelu, kannattaa lukea, muutamia erittäin hyviä pointteja kuten..:

Steve Sisson: After placing 12th in the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, you commented that you couldn’t compete at the international level with the training levels that brought you collegiate success. What changes to your training were required to help you become one of the best distance runners in the world by 1996, where you placed 6th in the Atlanta 5000m. final?

Bob Kennedy: Well, I think just the sheer volume of training increased drastically from what I was running in college. I probably ran 75-85 miles a week in college on average, and I probably averaged 100-110 miles per week post-collegiately. That in and of itself--if you can remain uninjured and do all the training around that in order to stay healthy and fresh (rest at the right time, work at the right time)--allows your body to train itself to more efficiently do all the things you are asking it to do. That’s the basic thing. The secondary thing, again, was identifying athletes and groups of athletes better than me and seeking them out as people to train with and learn from. One of the things I learned was levels of intensity. Our minds--we sometimes subconsciously set barriers in our mind about what is hard and what’s not hard, and I found very quickly that what I thought was hard was actually a whole other level than what I was capable of doing. That’s a personal thing, meaning that you have to find your own barriers and your own limitations, and that’s what I think all of this is all about: honestly seeking out what your limitations are. To me the answer to that, in theory, is that we’ll never truly really know. It’s an interesting dilemma; we’re in pursuit of this question, and for years we’re still pursuing it. An example I would give is just simply a workout: 6 x 800 meters, 2 min recovery, the same workout I did in college. I used to start out at 2:06; 2:05; 2:04 maybe do the last couple in 2:02; 2:01. And that was a great workout, a great collegiate workout, especially. Go overseas, the same workout with the Kenyans: first 800, 2 flat. Another 2:00, 1:58, 1:58: 1:57; 1:56, you know. It’s all at a whole different level. Same workout, different intensity. I realized that I had another level of what I thought was hard that I was capable of finding. All of a sudden, I am working that really anaerobic strength, which I call processing, buffering, at a whole other level, which then makes 62 or 2:04 very comfortable. It is important to note that that is what my limitations were and so, maybe for someone else the level is 2:12 to 2:08, I don’t know, that is for them to find out.

Ei kommentteja: